So Called Tech News: Google's Handle on Diversity, Is Netflix digging its own hole, a new way to start a podcast / ep 41
Alvaro and I are back for Season 2 of the So Called Tech News (and psst - we are going to be renaming these episodes so stay tuned). We get into some interesting stories including Google's internal diversity scandal, how Netflix is not using their data in the smartest way, and a new tool that makes it easier to stream your own audio (including podcasting!).
Getting back together with Alvaro to do these episodes was so much fun! And FYI - we are working on renaming these episodes to be called something new! Stay tuned!
We had several interesting stories to talk about, including:
- Disney Launching its own streaming service might change the playing game for Netflix. We get into how Netflix has used their data up until now and how they are presenting their content to viewers might not be the best way. Original story from The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/8/16115254/disney-launching-streaming-service-ending-netflix-deal
- If AI makes you worried, maybe it's time to get a different take on the impact it will have on the world! Original story from The Wallstreet Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/wesurvived-spreadsheets-and-well-survive-ai-1501688765
- China builds the worlds first forest city. It looks pretty cool and we hope it inspires other nations to get responsible about their impact on climate change and sustainability. Original story from Futurism: https://futurism.com/china-has-officially-started-construction-on-the-worlds-first-forest-city/
- Crazy Google diversity scandal, with an employee memo creating a lot of internal dilemma for a company that prides itself in gender integration. We get into our take on how it was handled and what the underlying issues are. Original story from The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/8/16111724/google-sundar-pichai-employee-memo-diversity
- Finally, our Startup Corner: Anchor.Fm! Really cool new way to stream your own audio and how it compares to social medias way of functioning. Go to anchor.fm to check it out!
Thank you for listening!